James L. Holzman
Jim Holzman has transitioned from being the firm’s senior member to “of counsel” in his 41st year of practice with the firm. He is a member of the Corporate Litigation and Corporate Law Counseling Groups. His litigation practice concentrates principally on mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, securities law, and other complex business matters. He has tried cases in all of Delaware’s principal trial courts and in federal courts both in and outside of Delaware. He has been appointed Special Master or Special Counsel in a number of complex corporate cases by the Delaware Court of Chancery. He is a member of the Rules Committee of the Court of Chancery. His corporate law practice focuses on advising Delaware corporations, CEOs, boards of directors, and board committees on fiduciary duties and the application and construction of provisions of the Delaware General Corporation Law in contexts such as mergers and acquisitions and other transactional settings and those involving governance and compliance issues. He has represented special board committees formed to negotiate major transactions as well as those convened to conduct investigations.
Mr. Holzman is past Chairman of the Council of the Corporation Law Section of the Delaware State Bar Association, the Bar group responsible for reviewing and recommending amendments to the Delaware General Corporation Law. From 2008 through mid-2010 he led the legislative and other responses of the Council to the unprecedented events in the financial markets and to the resulting scrutiny of multiple aspects of corporate governance. A long time member of the Council, he previously chaired the corporate governance review task force for the Council in the wake of major corporate scandals in 2002-2003. On the national level, he served in a number of leadership posts with the American Bar Association, including Chair of the Business and Corporate Litigation Committee of the ABA. He has been a frequent speaker on corporate governance and corporate law for the American Bar Association, state and local bar organizations and the Practicing Law Institute, among others.
Mr. Holzman’s versatility and abilities as both a litigator and a corporate practitioner are recognized by peers and clients. He has been “AV” Rated by Martindale-Hubbell for more than 20 years. He is listed in The International Who’s Who of Corporate Governance Lawyers. The Best Lawyers in America recognizes him as a leading practitioner in corporate law. Benchmark Litigation, the definitive guide to Americas’ leading business litigation attorneys, has named him a “Local Litigation Star,” based on consistently superior recommendations of peers and clients.
- Corporate Litigation
- Corporate Law Counseling
- General Litigation
- Commercial and Contract Disputes
Professional and Community Activities:
- Chairman, Corporation Law Council and Section, Delaware State Bar Association (2008-2010)
- Member, Delaware Court of Chancery Rules Committee
- Co-Chair, Delaware Business Law Forum
- Member, Editorial Board, The Business Lawyer (2005-2012)
- Chair, Business and Corporate Litigation Committee, ABA Business Law Section (1996-2000)
- Member, Council, ABA Business Law Section Council (2001-2005)
- Member, Task Force on Litigation Reform and Rules Revision, ABA Business Law Section
- Member, Advisory Board, Northeast Business Law Institute
- President, Board of Trustees, Tower Hill School (2000-2003)
- United States District Court for the District of Delaware
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Stetson University (B.A. 1970)
- University of Florida (J.D. 1972)